The following Family & Consumer Science article printed in the October 1, 2015 edition of the Oldham Era.
2016 Piggy Bank Design Contest Announced
Oldham County will once again be participating in the Piggy Bank Design Contest, hosted by the University of Kentucky College of Agriculture, Food and Environment. The Piggy Bank Design Contest encourages youth to use their creativity while learning the importance of saving money and reducing debt.
Participants must be students attending a Kentucky private, public or home school. Grades kindergarten through twelfth are eligible. Submission deadline is December 1. Each entry must be accompanied by an official entry form, available from the Oldham County Extension office.
- The bank cannot exceed 12 inches by 12 inches by 12 inches (1 square foot) in size.
- Piggy banks must be able to hold coins (i.e., include a slot that has been cut to insert coins).
- Piggy banks must be created or decorated by the youth contestant.
- Plastic or ceramic piggy banks are allowed but must be personally decorated.
- Piggy banks do not have to be pig-shaped.
- You may use or repurpose other containers to create your piggy bank.
- Piggy banks are submitted and judged through the Oldham County Cooperative Extension Office.
Winners will have their names, grades, counties and winning piggy banks displayed in the Capitol Rotunda in Frankfort during February 2016. Winners also receive certificates.
Kentucky Saves Week is February 22-27, 2016.
For more information, contact the Oldham County Extension office at 222-9453 or email the staff assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Written by Lauren State, Oldham County Extension Staff Assistant. Reviewed by Chris Duncan, Oldham County Family & Consumer Science Agent.