Home Cooking Corner
Spaghetti squash is a member of the winter squash family. Summer squash is eaten before the seeds mature, whereas winter squash is consumed after the seeds have matured and outer skin has hardened. Get your sharp knife out, and make this delicious recipe that is calorie and carb friendly.
Tex Mex Spaghetti Squash Casserole Recipe
- 1 small (about 2 pounds) spaghetti squash
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 (4 to 5 ounce) can chopped mild green chilies
- 1 1/2 cups low fat cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare the squash by carefully cutting it in half lengthwise with a sharp knife and scooping out the seeds. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet, cut-side down and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a sharp knife can be easily inserted into the rind.
- Remove the squash from the oven and cool. Use a fork to scrape out the stringy flesh from the shell and place in a colander. Press out as much liquid as possible. Place squash in a medium bowl and keep warm.
- In a skillet, cook the ground beef over medium heat until browned. Add the onion, red bell pepper and garlic. Continue to cook until the vegetables are tender. Add the cumin, cayenne pepper and salt. Drain well and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the chopped tomatoes and green chilies.
- Spray a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with non-stick coating. Layer half of the spaghetti squash in the bottom of the pan. Spread half the meat mixture on top of the squash. Layer half of the tomatoes and chilies on top of the meat and top with half of the cheese. Repeat the layers.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until the casserole is hot all the way through and the cheese is bubbly, 15-20 minutes. Sprinkle with the cilantro and serve.
Nutritional Analysis: 140 calories, 4 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 30 mg cholesterol, 400 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g sugars, 17 g protein
Yield: 9 servings