Cooking With Kids: Lentils of the Southwest
Southwest Lentils Ingredients
- 1/2 cup lentils, green or brown, dry
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh onions, peeled, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground red chili pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup canned low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
Southwest Lentils Directions
- In a small pot, combine the lentils and 1¼ cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and cook uncovered until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet. Add onions and garlic. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in cumin, red chili pepper, and chili powder. Reduce heat to low and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add onion/garlic mixture to cooked lentils. Add 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water. Stir in tomatoes and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Just before serving stir in cilantro. Serve hot.
1 cup provides:
- Legume as meat alternate: 1 oz equivalent meat alternate, or
- Legume as vegetable: 1/4 cup legume vegetable
- Legume vegetable can be counted as either a meat alternate or as a legume vegetable, but not as both simultaneously.
Nutrients per serving: Calories 69, Protein 5g, Carbohydrate 11g, Dietary Fiber 4g, Total Fat <1g, Saturated Fat <1g, Cholesterol 0mg, Vitamin A 251 IU (10 RAE), Vitamin C 3mg, Iron 2mg, Calcium 15mg, Sodium 142mg
Simple Fish Tacos
Fish Taco Ingredients
- 1/2 cup non-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 packet taco seasoning, divided
- 1 pound cod or white fish fillets, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups red and green cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups tomato, diced
- 12 corn tortillas (6-inch, warmed)
- Lime wedges (for serving)
Fish Taco Directions
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, cilantro, and 2 tablespoons seasoning mix.
- In a medium bowl, combine cod, vegetable oil, lemon juice, and remaining seasoning mix; pour into large skillet. Cook stirring constantly, over medium-high heat, for 4-5 minutes or until cod flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- Fill warm tortillas with fish mixture.
- Top with cabbage, tomato, sour cream mixture, lime wedges, and taco sauce.
Nutrients per serving: 220 calories; 4g total fat; 1g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 36mg cholesterol; 355mg sodium; 32g carbohydrate; 4g fiber; 4g total sugars; 1g added sugars; 15g protein
Source: What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl