The following recipe printed in the 2020 Spring edition of the Oldham County Extension Newsletter.
Omelets On The Go
Makes 12 servings
Serving size: 1 omelet
Cost per recipe: $8.04
Cost per serving: $0.67
- 1 cup diced ham
- 2 1/2 cups any chopped, sautéed fresh vegetables (such as: mushrooms, bell peppers, tomatoes, spinach)
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 9 large eggs
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 12 cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine ham, sautéed vegetables and cheese. Divide mixture evenly among muffin tins.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over the ham and vegetable mixture, filling each muffin tin to the top.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the tops are firm to the touch and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and set aside for 5 minutes before removing from pan. Serve warm.
- Store leftover omelets in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in a microwave oven for 20-40 seconds.
Nutrition facts per serving:
110 calories; 6g total fat; 2.5g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 150mg cholesterol; 170mg sodium; 2g carbohydrate; 0g fiber; 1g sugar; 10g protein; 8% Daily Value of vitamin A; 10% Daily Value of vitamin C; 8% Daily Value of calcium; 6% Daily Value of iron
Source: Brooke Jenkins-Howard, Curriculum Coordinator for Kentucky Nutrition Education Program, University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service