Broccoli actually has two growing seasons in Kentucky. Kentucky growers began harvesting their first crop in May, continuing to harvest through early July. The second season spans from October to November.
Check out this delicious Broccoli Cheddar Biscuits recipe from the University of Kentucky Nutrition Education Program.
Broccoli Cheddar Biscuits
Yield: 20 biscuits
Cost per recipe: $5.43
Cost per serving: $0.27
- 1 cup broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place chopped broccoli and grated carrot in a medium bowl. Toss with 1/4 cup of flour and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together remaining (1 3/4 cups) flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add buttermilk and vegetable oil into flour mixture and stir until just combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Fold in vegetable mixture and cheese into flour mixture. In the bowl, knead two or three times until a dough ball is formed.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface. Pat the dough into an inch thickness. Using a cookie cutter or glass (2 inches in diameter), cut dough into rounds.
- Arrange biscuits on a baking sheet. Bake 12 minutes or until golden.
Nutrition Facts per Serving:
130 calories; 8g total fat; 2g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 5mg cholesterol; 240mg sodium; 12g carbohydrate; 1g fiber; 1g sugar; 0g added sugar; 3g protein; 0% Daily Value of vitamin D; 6% Daily Value of calcium; 6% Daily Value of iron; 2% Daily Value of potassium.
Source: Katie Shoultz, Extension Specialist, University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service
One thought on “Broccoli Cheddar Biscuits Recipe”
These look amazing, I am going to have to try this recipe soon!
LikeLiked by 1 person