Peppers are in season in Kentucky from July through September. Check out this delicious Turkey Stuffed Peppers recipe from the University of Kentucky Nutrition Education Program.
Turkey Stuffed Peppers
Makes 8 servings
Serving size: 1 stuffed pepper
Cost per recipe: $10.23
Cost per serving: $1.28
Stuffed Pepper Ingredients
- 4 medium bell peppers, halved, cored and seeds removed
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend or cheddar cheese
Stuffed Pepper Directions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray a 9 by 13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Place peppers in dish.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and cook onions until translucent. Add turkey, garlic powder, cumin, and chili powder. Let cook until turkey has browned.
- Add black beans, salsa, and rice to the skillet. Stir to combine.
- Spoon mixture into each pepper half. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with cheese, and bake for another 4 to 5 minutes.
Nutrition facts per serving:
200 calories; 7g total fat; 2g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 35mg cholesterol; 330mg sodium; 18g carbohydrate; 4g fiber; 2g sugar; 0g added sugar; 17g protein; 0% Daily Value of vitamin D; 6% Daily Value of calcium; 10% Daily Value of iron; 6% Daily Value of potassium.
Source: Adapted from MyPlate Kitchen (formerly known as USDA What’s Cooking?