Tomatoes are in season in Kentucky from July through early October. Peppers and onions are both in season from July through September. Take advantage of this fresh, in-season produce by trying this Breakfast Pizza recipe from University of Kentucky’s Nutrition Education Program.
Makes 12 servings.
Serving Size: 1/12 pizza (3-inch square)
Cost per recipe: $9.45
Cost per serving: $0.79
Breakfast Pizza Ingredients
- 2 (8 ounce) tubes reduced-fat crescent rolls
- 1/2 pound breakfast sausage
- 1 cup (4 ounce) fresh mushrooms, chopped or sliced
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Breakfast Pizza Directions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Press crescent rolls onto the cookie sheet with fingers to create one even sheet of dough.
- Pinch up the edges to hold toppings.
- In a skillet, brown sausage and drain.
- Sprinkle sausage, mushrooms, onion, green pepper, and tomatoes evenly over the dough.
- Pour eggs over top and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cut into squares with a pizza cutter, and serve.
Option: Fat and cholesterol content can be reduced by using low-fat cheese and 6 egg whites instead of 4 eggs.
Nutritional facts per serving:
250 calories; 17g total fat; 7g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 75mg cholesterol; 580mg sodium; 18g carbohydrate; 0g fiber; 3g sugar; 10g protein; 0% Daily Value of vitamin D; 8% Daily Value of calcium; 6% Daily Value of iron; 2% Daily Value of potassium.
Breakfast Pizza Video Demonstration
Source: Megan Finney, former student, University of Kentucky.