Yield: 6 (1 1/2 cup) servings
Kale and Potato Soup Ingredients
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 box (48 ounce) low-sodium chicken broth
- 6 red potatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup carrot, chopped
- 4 cups kale, shredded
- 1/2 pound cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Kale and Potato Soup Directions
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat for 1 minute. Add chopped onion and garlic, and cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, potatoes, and carrot; cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Mix in the kale, chicken and black pepper. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until kale is tender.
Nutritional facts per serving: 270 calories, 5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 25 mg cholesterol, 210 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 15 g protein
Kale and Potato Soup Video Demonstration
Source: Kentucky Proud Project; County Extension Agents for Family and Consumer Sciences; University of Kentucky, Dietetics and Human Nutrition Students.