Makes 12 servings
Serving size: 1/12 lasagna
Cost per recipe: $18
Cost per serving: $1.50
Lightened Up Lasagna Ingredients
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 4 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 (48 ounce) jar low-sodium spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced, no-salt-added tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 16 ounces low-fat ricotta cheese (may use low-fat cottage cheese)
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed
- 9 no-cook lasagna noodles (8 ounces, total)
Lightened Up Lasagna Directions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the beef, garlic and onion until the beef browns. Drain off the excess fat.
- Add sauce, mushrooms, tomatoes and 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning to ground beef mixture. Stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese and spinach.
- In a greased 9-by-13-inch baking dish, add a layer of meat sauce, followed by a layer of noodles and cheese. Continue layering with remaining ingredients.
- Sprinkle remaining mozzarella and Italian seasoning on top layer of lasagna.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese lightly browns.
Nutrition facts per serving: 290 calories; 9g total fat; 3.5g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 40mg cholesterol; 230mg sodium; 30g carbohydrate; 4g fiber; 11g sugar; 21g protein; 70% Daily Value of vitamin A; 15% Daily Value of vitamin C; 25% Daily Value of calcium; 15% Daily Value of iron.
Lightened Up Lasagna Video Demonstration
Sources: Adapted from Amanda Howard, Magoffin County Nutrition Education Program Assistant, University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service; USDA’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program — SNAP