Makes 8 servings
Serving size: 1 cup beans and slice of bread
Cost per recipe: $7.76
Cost per serving: $0.97
One-Pan Beans & Cornbread Ingredients
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen butter beans, thawed
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen baby lima beans, thawed
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can baked beans with onions
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 (6 to 8.5 ounce) envelope cornbread mix (Nutrition facts were calculated using
a 7.5 ounce envelope)
One-Pan Beans & Cornbread Directions
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a greased 3-quart baking dish, mix first eight ingredients together.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Increase temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Mix cornbread according to package directions. Spread on top of beans.
- Bake for an additional 20 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown.
Note: Canned or cooked, dried beans may be substituted for any beans above. Using prepared dry beans in place of canned will reduce sodium in this dish.
Nutritional facts per serving: 400 calories; 4g total fat; 1g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 15mg cholesterol; 720mg sodium; 73g carbohydrate; 15g fiber; 13g sugar; 18g protein; 2% Daily Value of vitamin A; 8% Daily Value of vitamin C; 15% Daily Value of calcium; 30% Daily Value of iron.
Source: Rita May, Senior Extension Associate for Kentucky Nutrition Education Program, University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service