Yield: 16 (1/2 inch) slices
Tomato Basil Bruschetta Ingredients
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced and coarsely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 pound loaf, whole wheat French bread, cut into 1/2 inch slices
Tomato Basil Bruschetta Directions
- Combine tomatoes, onions, garlic, red wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper; set aside.
- Preheat broiler of oven.
- Lightly brush both sides of bread slices with remaining olive oil and arrange on ungreased baking sheet.
- Place three to four inches from the broiler and heat slices for two to three minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Top each slice with tomato mixture, using a slotted spoon and serve.
Nutrition facts per serving: 140 calories, 5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 250 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 0 g sugar, 4 g protein
Tomato Basil Bruschetta Demonstration
Source: Plate It Up! Kentucky Proud Project; County Extension Agents for Family and Consumer Sciences; University of Kentucky, Dietetics and Human Nutrition Students