Thanks to UK Extension’s Josh Jackson and Oldham County farmer Tee Ray for teaching our Tractor Maintenance workshop earlier this month. The best learning opportunities happen when farmers, agents, and specialists work together, and the Tractor Maintenance workshop was a prime example of that partnership. It’s easy to get bogged down in paperwork and managing other things, but when we pull off a great event like this one, it reminds me why I do this job. As the growing season is winding down and we approach the holiday season, take time to think about why you do your jobs, what makes them worth doing, and don’t get too bogged down in the rest. Wishing each of you a happy holiday season with your families and friends.
EXTENSION EVENTS – Reply or call 222-9453 to register.
- Understanding & Using Cattle EPD’s – December 15 @ 6:00 pm, SHELBY COUNTY EXTENSION. Guest Speaker Dr. Gordon Jones
- Grain Crop Weeds/Herbicides & Private Pesticide Applicator Certification – January 12 @ 9:00 am, OLDHAM COUNTY EXTENSION. Guest Speaker UK Weeds Specialist Dr. JD Green (NOTE THE DATE CHANGE TO JANUARY 12)
- Beef Basics – Begins January 12, 6:00 pm, SHELBY COUNTY EXTENSION
- Oldham County Cattlemen’s Association – January 19 at 6:00 pm, OLDHAM COUNTY EXTENSION. Guest Speaker UK Beef Specialist Les Anderson will share about the new X10D computer and phone app we can use for recordkeeping, networking, buying/selling, and learning about upcoming beef cattle programs.
- Making Hay Part 1 – January 24 @ 6:00 pm, SHELBY COUNTY EXTENSION
- Horses & Horsemen – January 28 @ 9:00 am – 1:00 pm, TRIMBLE COUNTY EXTENSION, Cost is $5. Topics covered include Nutrition, Health Care, First Aid, and Facilities.
- Making Hay Part 2 – January 31 @ 6:00 pm, HENRY COUNTY EXTENSION
- New Farm Service Agency Sign-Ups for Livestock, Row Crops, Specialty Crops – February 4 @ 9:00 am, OLDHAM COUNTY EXTENSION. You may be eligible for payments. FSA Director Katie Taylor will tell us about new programs and deadlines to sign up.
- Beginner Beekeeping Survival School – Begins February 19, organized by local Beekeepers Associations, Visit https://www.eventcreate.com/e/beekeepersurvival for event information and registration.
- Oldham County Ag Connection – March 7 @ 6:00 pm, OLDHAM COUNTY EXTENSION. Farm Service Agency Director Katie Taylor will discuss why farmers should become familiar with Farm Service Agency and their available programs.
- Master Gardener Volunteer Classes – Begin March 9 @ 6:00 pm, OLDHAM COUNTY EXTENSION. Contact Hope.Gardiner@uky.edu for details and registration information.
REMINDER – the 2022 Census of Agriculture is underway. Follow the link for more information and to respond. https://www.nass.usda.gov/AgCensus/?sp_sn=linkedin&spclid=8ACE0798-7952-4BAE-9D00-79EF7465AB0E
JUST FOR HORSE OWNERS: